Less than two minutes ago I was criticized for me, due mostly, I believe, to this blog. I was astonished for two reasons: 1)I didn't think anyone actually read this; and 2)I didn't realize that documenting some of the noteworthy experiences here would result in the disparagement of me. As a result, I've chosen to add an article about me, written in complete honesty (at least from my perspective).
I was born in Stillwater, Minnesota in 1986. I was raised from birth in the rural-suburbia of New Richmond, Wisconsin, where I graduated from High School. I am a middle-class, white male with two parents and a younger brother (who has a mild case of autism - undeniably one of the most influential factors of my personality and being). I grew up under the principles of compassion, kindness and respect for others, alike and different. I was taught work ethic from my father and altruism from my mother.
I consider myself a natural introvert with an affinity for self-improvement, including the acquisition of being socially competent. Growing up, I believed that being kind to everyone was the key to acceptance. During high school, I found that this was not the case. I was excluded from most social gatherings, endured harassment from the "cool kids" and experienced obstacles in school, athletics and even summer occupations. In no way whatsoever was I "popular." Fortunately, I was blessed with a small group of great friends (hence the necessity to thank them in a previous post).
So, for those who feel that I am overly judgmental and excessively critical of others, this post is devoted entirely to you.
Before coming to London, I decided to create a blog (mostly for myself) to recall the good times (as well as the bad), as well as share my experiences with my friends and family. In my first few attempts to construct a legitimate article, I failed miserably. I wrote about the people I was privileged to have met, the food I was lucky enough to eat and the opportunities I was given. Unfortunately, these articles were one-dimensional and monotonous. Does that take away from the value it meant to me? Of course not. Even the people who I spoke to only once had a lasting impression on me, and I'm deeply thankful for that. However, I wanted these articles to entertain. I didn't intend to hurt any feelings - I obviously didn't tell the people who I have written about the address to my blog (i.e. The Leviathan, Bus Boy, French Delight, etc.). I have kept these stories, or so I thought, mostly to myself.
I realize that we're not all here for the same reason. Some of us are here to run away from problems back home. Some are here to meet new friends and experience another part of the world. I'm here to write a blog (note that I make this comment in jest). While I do not want to offend anyone directly, let me make one thing perfectly clear - I'm not forcing anyone to read this. For those who have been reading and were upset by it: Thank you for giving me another thing to write about. :)
Friday, April 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment